PURPOSE STATEMENT / ALTAR SERVER
The Altar Server assists the presider at the Tables of Word and Eucharist during the Mass and models for the community active participation in the liturgy, which is the source and summit of our Catholic Christian faith. By serving at God’s holy Altar, the Altar Server seeks to grow closer to God by understanding the Mass and helps to strengthen the community’s love of God, who is incarnate in Jesus Christ and made present in the Spirit.
• Learn the liturgy by participating in initial and ongoing training as scheduled;
• Follow directions and procedures to fully execute their ministry in the manner and style of SSJ liturgies;
• Be available when scheduled (approximately twice per month) or find a replacement from the provided Altar Server list;
• Be able to work together in a team;
• Arrive in the Sacristy 15 minutes to 30 minutes before Mass is scheduled to help prepare the altar, if needed, and vest accordingly;
• Even when not scheduled, check-in at the Working Sacristy with the Liturgical Associate or his substitute to verify if additional Altar Servers are needed.
Altar Servers Should:
• Have a strong desire to serve at God’s holy Altar;
• Have a deep sense of the spirit of the liturgy and be trained to perform their ministerial functions in a correct, prayerful and orderly manner;
• Believe in the tenants of the Catholic faith;
• Be a leader of prayer for the community, preparing for the Mass by reading/meditating the readings of the day;
• Be in 5th grade or older and have already received the Sacraments of First Eucharist and Reconciliation; families; couples; and older adults;
• Be physically capable of assisting on the altar (e.g., climb stairs and some lifting).
• 1 hour and 30 minutes per scheduled Mass.
• Up to 2 hours of initial and ongoing formation, as needed.
• Servers are scheduled approximately twice per month.
• Servers should be available whenever possible if coverage is needed.
Click here for the Altar Server May Schedule.