Welcome to Sts. Simon & Jude Ministry of Music! “Sing to the Lord. Music in Divine Worship” is the document by the Bishops of the United Stated. The Bishops formed a music subcommittee in order to establish guidelines and provide direction for those who prepare liturgy. The document clearly has one objective, “to draw all who worship the Lord into liturgical fullness, musical prayer.”
Parish instrumentalist and singers are called to share their time and talents in a ministerial way by serving the faith community at worship in Sts Simon and Jude church. Our primary purpose as pastoral musicians involves preparation, prayer and practice in giving our time and talent to the divine worship of God. This involves combining our musical gifts with knowledge of the feasts of the liturgical year, familiarity with the scriptures and a pastoral sense of the People of God whom we have been entrusted to lead in musical prayer. – Mark T. Purcell
Music Ministry Staff
- Jonathan Arnold, Parish Conductor
- Patrick Bell, Parish Cantor
- Dr. Barbara Worsley, Parish Choir Pianist
- Jaime Ranslow, Associate Organist & Pianist
- Michael Upward, Sunday 5 P.M. Parish Ensemble Coordinator and Pianist
- Eric Byak Parish Guitarist
- Rich Chasin Instrumental Coordinator
- Lorraine Allen, Elaine Barbin and Tom Molinaro, Music Librarians
- Parish Choir - The 45 voice parish choir is made up of committed members who rehearse weekly. The choir leads singing at the 11:00 a.m. liturgy, September through June. Rehearsals are on Wednesday from 7:00 – 9:30 p.m. The choir repertoire consists of all styles of music ranging from the Gregorian chant and Liturgical Classical Literature, to the latest Gospel and Ritual Music written today. Membership requires a commitment and audition. Autumn and Spring all day rehearsals have been planned with sectional rehearsals, prayer, voice classes and lunch. Please see our Music Staff to join one of our exciting parish choirs.
- Parish Ensemble - The 10 voice member ensemble ministers weekly at the Sunday 5:00 p.m. Mass. Rehearsals begin at 3:30 p.m. Interview and commitment required.
- Parish Children’s Choir - The newly formed Children’s Choir sings at the 9:30 A.M. Mass once a month September – June. Rehearsals are on Wednesday’s from 3:15 – 4:15 and members are required to match pitch and be present for all rehearsals.
Parish Recordings – Two CD’s featuring the Parish Choirs are available in the Parish Office. The recordings are: Sts. Simon & Jude Anniversary Recording with 38 selections of choral music and the recently released “Favorites” are available in the Parish Office for a donation.