Dear Parishioners and Guests of Sts. Simon & Jude Parish:
Providing a safe and welcoming environment for our children and youth is a top priority at Sts. Simon & Jude Parish. A safe environment protects our children from harm, including sexual abuse and child molestation. It allows them to feel confident and secure in the classroom and at church.
To address this need, Sts. Simon & Jude Parish has responded by being fully compliant with the following policies for the prevention of the abuse of children and young people:
- Shield the Vulnerable, a program dedicated to raising awareness and prevention of mistreatment of children and the elderly by training young people and adults about abuse, neglect, predators, bullying, boundaries, respect, and the perils of cyberspace.
- The Covenant With The Faithful, a letter from the Most Reverend Tod David Brown, Bishop of the Diocese of Orange regarding this crisis of the Catholic Church in America and the Diocese of Orange.
- The National Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, revised Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, Essential Norms, Statement of Episcopal Commitment (June 2011) by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
- 2013 Annual Report, Findings and Recommendations on the Report on the Implementation of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
- Respecting Boundaries: Keeping Ministerial Relationships Healthy and Holy (Revised April 2014) , a pamphlet regarding the complaints or allegations of sexual misconduct handled in the Diocese of Orange.
- Boundaries: A Guide for Teens developed by the Diocese of Orange
- Breaking the Silence: Protecting Our Youth from Sexual Abuse, a pamphlet on a program created especially for students attending the Diocese of Orange high schools and those youth who participate in the Diocese’s religious education classes.
- A Response to Sexual Misconduct: Maintaining Boundaries in Ministerial Relagionships in English, Spanish and Vietnamese (dated 2006) from the Franciscan Friars of the Saint Barbara Province.
- A Response to Complaints of Sexual Misconduct from the Diocese of Orange.
- The Conference of Major Superiors of Men 25 National Standards
In addition to being available on this website, these documents are available in hard copy in the gathering space of the church, the parish office, the faith formation office and the parish school.
As we have encouraged in the past, those with knowledge of inappropriate behavior – whether past or present – should come forward with this information so that innocent victims may be spared from further harm:
- Diocese of Orange: A complaint against a Diocesan priest, deacon, religious personnel assigned in the Diocese of Orange, Catholic school personnel, or other Diocesan employee may be initiated by calling 1-800-364-3064. All complaints will be answered by the Diocese of Orange Assistance Ministry Coordinator who will respond to and assist the caller in directing the complaint to the proper authority.
- Franciscan Province of Saint Barbara: A complaint against a Franciscan Friar can also be initiated by contacting the Province Independent Response Team by calling (800) 770-8013, mailing a letter to Independent Response Team, PO Box 90638, Santa Barbara, CA 93139, or visiting their website at www.responseteam.org.
May the Lord give you peace.
Rev. Daniel Barica, ofm
Pastor, Sts. Simon & Jude Catholic Church