On November 6, 2019, it was announced that after many years of service to Sts. Simon & Jude Parish, the Franciscan Friars will need to leave Huntington Beach and return the parish to the complete care of the Diocese. The transition from friars to diocean priests will take place sometime in summer of 2020, although the exact date has not yet been determined.
* Letter to SSJ parishioners from Fr. David Gaa, ofm, Minister Provincial, Province of Saint Barbara
* Letter to SSJ parishioners from Most Reverend Kevin William Vann, J.C.D., D.D., Bishop of Orange in California
* Fr. Daniel takes a musical approach during a stewardship homily to reassure parishioners that change should not discourage them to “keep working,” which were the last words of Fr. Christian, who died a year and a half ago.
* Questions and Comments from SSJ parishioners regarding the transition (part 1)
* Questions and Comments from SSJ parishioners regarding the transition (part 2)
* Parish Transition Update - February 23, 2020
Below is a note from Fr. Daniel to parishioners regarding the upcoming change.
The current local friars here, Vincent, Joe, Rufino, Ryan, Mark and myself all feel the heaviness of this news, as much as we understand our circumstances. We trust that the Transition Team (as mentioned in Fr. David's letter linked above) will help all of us move forward in the time that we have left to grieve, celebrate the past and discern God's hand and certain presence in the future.
Finally, please allow me to clarify that the difficult decision to relinquish the parish back to the diocese comes directly from our Franciscan leadership, not the diocese. The friars have had a very good relationship with the bishops and their administrative teams over the years, as they have graciously permitted us to minister in the diocese since 1964. In the meantime, the hard work we have put into a new pastoral plan for 2020-2024 will continue. So let us be gentle with one another during the process ahead as we continue to transform hearts by being Christ to others, working for peace, justice and care of creation.
Together with you, trusting in God's presence in ALL things,
Fr. Daniel F. Barica, ofm, Pastor